Monday, July 8, 2013

Dr. Oz's Two Day Wonder Cleanse

I am currently in the midst of Dr. Oz's Two Day Cleanse.  When reading about this cleanse and even saying it in my head now- TWO DAYS. Easy right? WRONG! Hardest thing I've done in a LONG time.  I am dying and not because I am in pain, the cramping headaches and side effects aren't that bad. It's more the struggle against the mental battle to snack graze etc.
This cleanse is specifically designed to rid our body of toxins.  Dr. Oz describes it as a physical and spiritual transformation.. I dont really know about that but I am skeptical by nature  :)

You can read about it here:
http://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Oz-on-Cleansing-Do-You-Need-a-Cleanse/1

Day 1: (Yesterday)
In the AM i had oatmeal with peanut butter because I was about to do a big workout and I couldn't last without something, so I went to spinning after my breakfast, and then began prep:
I went to Trader Joe's and Sprouts and bought the following items- (some things needed for the cleanse I already had) This was tough because my mom was doing it with me so I had to double all ingredients
- Cabbage
- Fennel
- Cucumber
- Frozen Pineapple
- Caraway Seeds
-Cayenne pepper
- Kale
- Flax Seed
- Shittake Mushrooms
- Prunes
- Almond Milk
- Sauerkraut
- Celery
- Red Onion

Then I got to work prepping my food. It was nice to work with my mom. We doubled all the batches and decided to make all the food for both days immediately and just tupperware it all.

For Breakfast: Quinoa and Prunes:

Not too bad- super filling. In fact my mom and I had a hard time eating all of it. The prunes add a natural sweetness to the power packed quinoa and the nutmeg was a nice spice. Kind of like eating a bowl of oatmeal with a slightly different texture. This is the meat of the cleanse and from here on out it's mostly liquid.

Snack (drink 2x a day): Pineapple Kale Juice
This had kale cucumbers, mint, lemon and pineapple in it. Not very sweet, very healthy tasting, but not the worst. If you can get your mind around the fact that you're drinking something good for you and really boosts your digestive system, you can get past it...

Lunch: Fruit Smoothie



This had a 1/4 banana, blueberries flax seed and almond milk in it. If you look at the ingredient measurements this is not much at all. I had to bulk it up with more ice. Not very filling but full of antioxidants, vitamins and enzymes... 
UGH at this point in the cleanse, the 2pm lull, it gets super hard.

Dinner: Veggie soup broth with a side of sauerkraut and sliced apple
Here is my prepping- my mom had a huge awesome pot which was perfect for this because it requires so many veggies, esp when you double the recipe




The end result which is the broth isnt very beautiful, just looks like chicken stock.  This was pretty bland because of the lack of salt. It wasnt horrible tho and the parsley added a nice fresh touch.  The recipe on the website makes  A LOT of broth.
Next post will be about my feelings and experience with this cleanse.
Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment