Friday, May 3, 2013

Amy's Lasagna


I am a big fan of lasagna. One of the best things about it- is its versatility. You can make it way in advance and freeze it for a rainy day, you can add a ton of ingredients and make it delish and its a complete crowd pleaser.
Recently two sets of my best friends had a baby and I thought there would be no better gesture than to provide them a nice home cooked meal made with love.
In the past I've often followed Ina's recipe for Turkey Lasagna, and I did in some ways still, but change it up based on what I had on hand. I was highly inspired when I went to sprouts and saw both sweet and hot Italian Spicy Sausage on sale.I bought a couple packs and some noodles/ricotta/Parmesan/to-go containers and dashed home to make my lasagnas.

Here's my recipe and some pics:



INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
2 jars tomato sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound lasagna noodles- (I buy the no-boil kind)
15 ounces ricotta cheese
3 to 4 ounces creamy goat cheese, crumbled
1 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
1 pound fresh mozzarella, shredded

DIRECTIONS:
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the 2 types of sausage and cook over medium-low heat, breaking it up with a fork, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until slightly browned. Add the tomato sauce, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat, for 15 to 20 minutes, until thickened.

Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water. Add the noodles and allow them to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain.

In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup of Parmesan, the egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.

Ladle 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch rectangular baking dish (or in my case two smaller to-go baking dishes), spreading the sauce over the bottom of the dish. Then add the layers as follows: half the pasta, half the mozzarella, half the ricotta, and one 1/3 of the sauce. Add the rest of the pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and finally, sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of Parmesan.
I froze my lasagnas after this so I could deliver nicely to my friends.
I directed them to:
Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 35-45 minutes until cheese is bubbling and golden.


Browning my two types of sausage

Mixing my ricotta and prepping my cheeses (you can see my salad I'm prepping for lunch the next day too)

My finished lasagna's ready to pop in the freezer than be delivered to my friends

Hope you enjoy this recipe! Happy LASAGNA making!


No comments:

Post a Comment